JULIA ANNA GOSPODAROU - Master Architect | Fine Art Photographer - (en)Visionographer™
ARCHTECTURE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR
IPA 2016 - INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS
WHO IS JULIA
Julia is forever in love with art, she is passionate about architecture, and she lives and breathes photography.
Architect with a Master degree, multi award-winning black and white fine art photographer, founder of (en)Visionography™, over 85-time International award-winning and 20-time International gold/silver/bronze winner, highly sought after educator and best-selling author, Julia is based in Athens, working worldwide on fine art, educational and commercial projects.
In her architectural career she has worked at some of the most important projects and constructions realized in Greece over the past years, conducting projects and working next to famous names of Greek and world architecture like Santiago Calatrava or RTKL London.
Julia believes writing about your art is part of the art itself.
Author of the best-selling eBook "FROM BASICS TO FINE ART - Black and White Photography", written with co-author Joel Tjintjelaar, the book is considered by many critics one of the best book on B&W photography of the past decades.
Prestigious black and white photographer and instructor George DeWolfe, who has studied with Ansel Adams and Minor White, says about the book From Basics to Fine Art:
"I consider Julia’s (en)Visionography and Photography Drawing the most important innovation in black and white photography since the invention of the Zone System. (...) Outside of Ansel Adams’ Basic Photo Series, From Basic to Fine Art: Black and White Photography – Architecture and Beyond is the best book on black and white photography written in the last 40 years."
Julia’s work is represented by Rotella Gallery New York.
Rotella Gallery is one of the well-known fine art galleries in SoHo New York. Large limited edition prints of her work are available for collectors. at the gallery More info on Rotella Gallery website
FINE ART, EDUCATIONAL AND COMMERCIAL WORK
Julia is the founder of (en)Visionography™. She believes it is not enough to create artwork, but also to know WHY you do it. This is the only way you can fully LIVE your art.
Julia considers (en)Visionography™ - www.envisionography.com , an alternative to traditional photography, seen as an evolution of photography in the digital era. This evolution and the new creative tools available today give the artist the freedom to express his own vision and story, independently of the subject he photographs, or the camera he uses. (en)Visionography is the photography that starts from the artist himself, who is taking inspiration from his own emotions in front of the world, and from his life experiences. (en)Visionography brings photography close to the idea of art, since the process of creation in (en)Visionography is the same as the process of creation of artists working with other means.
This theory reflects also in her personal creative and processing method Photography Drawing (PhD™), method based on how light interacts with volumes and how this can be translated in an image by using the principles of classical drawing.
Julia was always passionate about sharing her knowledge. This is why she publishes on her blog articles about creativity in photography, fine art photography tutorials, architectural photography tutorials, she lectures at international photography conferences, teaches sold-out photography workshops worldwide, and mentors students online.
Her professional activities include working on commissioned photography projects all over the world, covering architectural photography and other genres.
To book one of Julia's workshops or mentoring programs, to invite her to lecture at your conference or to work with her on commissioned projects, please visit for details the page Workshops & Services.
INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION AND AWARDS
Julia's photography has been endorsed over time by many prestigious international photography brands and has won numerous international awards.
She is proud to be a member of the prestigious Image Masters Gallery created by DxO Labs and a DxO Ambassador, a Featured Artist for Formatt-Hitech, being endorsed by Topaz Labs and other leading photography related companies like NIK Software by Google, SmugMug, Camerapixo, Stark Magazine etc.
Published internationally in numerous books and magazines, Julia's photography can be found in numerous private collections worldwide. A list of her publications is available below and also in the pages destined to Publications and the one destined to Interviews and Exhibitions
Julia has repeatedly won during her photography career the highest distinctions in most of the well-known professional international photography competitions, being awarded 2016 PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR - Architecture Professionals by the prestigious IPA international Photography Awards. You can consult a list of her awards below and on the Awards Page.
FULL LIST HERE: AWARDS
- IPA 2016 - PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR - ARCHITECTURE PROFESSIONALS - OVERALL CATEGORY WINNER – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS
- IPA 2016- GOLD (1st Prize) – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - for series "URBAN SAGA" - Category Architecture Fine Art Professionals
- IPA 2016- SILVER (2nd Prize) – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - for "URBAN SAGA" - Category Architecture Advertising Professionals
- IPA 2016 - 1st Place COUNTRY PICK for Greece – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - for "URBAN SAGA"
- IPA 2016 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS– 4 Honorable Mentions for "MANHATTAN BLUES" - Category Architecture, Cityscapes, Editorial Professionals
- IPA 2016 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS– 4 Honorable Mentionsfor "ROOFTOP STORIES" - Category Architecture, Cityscapes, Self Promotion Professionals
- IPA 2016 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS– 2 Honorable Mentions for "WAVES OF IMAGINATION" - Categories Architecture & People Professionals
- PX3 2016 - GOLD (1st Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - Architecture Fine Art Professionals for Urban Saga
- PX3 2016 - GOLD (1st Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - Architecture Advertising Professionals for Manhattan Blues
- PX3 2016 – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - Honorable Mention Architecture Advertising Professionals for Rooftop Stories
- FAPA 2016 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) - LONDON FINE ART PHOTO AWARDS PROFESSIONALS - Category Architecture Cityscapes - for Rooftop Stories
- FAPA 2016 - 4 NOMINEE Winner - LONDON FINE ART PHOTO AWARDS PROFESSIONALS - Category Architecture & Fine Art - for Urban Saga, Waves of Imagination, Ancient Glow, Catharsis
- SIPA 2016 - Siena International Photo Awards- Finalist - Open Color, Architecture, Storyboard
- PX3 2015 - GOLD (1st Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - PEOPLE CHOICE AWARDS - Architecture Advertising Professionals for Urban Saga
- PX3 2015 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - PEOPLE CHOICE AWARDS - Fine Art Architecture Professionals for Urban Saga
- PX3 2015 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - PEOPLE CHOICE AWARDS - Architecture Advertising Professionals for the series Waving Light
- PX3 2015– PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - PEOPLE CHOICE AWARDS - 4 Honorable Mentions Professionals Category for series Urban Saga, Fluid Time, Waving Light and Equivalents
- FAPA 2015 - GOLD (1st Prize) and Category Winner - LONDON FINE ART PHOTO AWARDS PROFESSIONALS - Category Architecture Cityscapes - for URBAN SAGA I
- FAPA 2015 - SILVER (2nd Prize) - LONDON FINE ART PHOTO AWARDS PROFESSIONALS - Category Architecture - for the series FLUID TIME - Chicago
- PX3 2015 - SILVER (2nd Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - Fine Art Architecture Professionals for Urban Saga
- PX3 2015– PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - 5 Honorable Mentions Architecture Category Professionals for series Urban Saga, Fluid Time & Waving Light
- BLACK & WHITE SPIDER AWARDS 2015 - 4 Nominations – Architecture Professionals Category for the images: Fluid Time V - Aligning Path; Equivalents II; Urban Saga I; Ode to Black | Black Hope II - Anima Black
- IPA 2015 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - 5 Honorable Mentions Architecture Professionals for series Urban Saga, Fluid Time & Waving Light
- PX3 2015 – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - White Competition - Nature PROFESSIONALS - Honorable Mention for the series CATHARSIS
- PX3 2014 - GOLD (1st Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS Category Architecture Advertising PROFESSIONALS – for the series EXUBERANCE OF STRINGS
- PX3 2014 - SILVER (2nd Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS) Category Fine Art Architecture PROFESSIONALS – for the series EXUBERANCE OF STRINGS
- PX3 2014 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS Category Fine Art Architecture PROFESSIONALS – for the series FLUID TIME - An (en)Visionographic Chicago Story
- PX3 2014 – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - 2 Honorable Mentions for the series FLUID TIME - An (en)Visionographic Chicago Story & EXUBERANCE OF STRINGS
- IPA 2014 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - 2 Honorable Mentions for the series “FLUID TIME - An (en)Visionographic Chicago Story” – Category ARCHITECTURE Professionals– Cityscapes, Architecture Other
- IPA 2014 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - 2 Honorable Mentions for the series “EXUBERANCE - Lines and Light” – Category ARCHITECTURE Professionals– Architecture Bridges, Architecture Self Promotion
- BLACK & WHITE SPIDER AWARDS 2014 - Nomination – Architecture Professionals Category for the image: "Fluid Time - Parallel Realities"
- ND AWARDS 2014 - NEUTRAL DENSITY AWARDS - Winner of 4 Honorable Mentions for series "Ode to Black", "Like a Harp's Strings", "Catharsis" - Categories Architecture, Fine Art, Landscape, Trees
- PX3 2013 - GOLD (1st Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - People's Choice Awards - Category Fine Art Architecture PROFESSIONALS – for the series “ODE TO BLACK”
- PX3 2013 - SILVER (2nd Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - People's Choice Awards - Category Architecture Advertising PROFESSIONALS – for the series “ODE TO BLACK”
- PX3 2013 – BRONZE (3rd Prize) – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - Category Architecture Advertising PROFESSIONALS for the series “ODE TO BLACK”
- IPA 2013 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS for the series“LIKE A HARP'S STRINGS - ENCORE” – Category ARCHITECTURE PROFESSIONALS – BRIDGES
- IPA 2013 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - 3 Honorable Mentions for the series “ODE TO BLACK” – Category ARCHITECTURE Professionals– Buildings, Architecture Self Promotion, Architecture Other
- IPA 2013 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - 3 Honorable Mentions for the series "CATHARSIS" – Category FINE ART Professionals– Landscape, Fine Art Self Promotion, Fine Art Trees
- BLACK & WHITE SPIDER AWARDS 2013 - 3 Nominations – Architecture Category for the images: 1/ "CONVERGING", 2/ "HIDDEN", 3/ “LIKE A HARP'S STRINGS I - OVERTURE”
- PX3 2013 – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS – Category Fine Art Architecture PROFESSIONALS – Honorable Mention for the series “ODE TO BLACK”
- IFAP 2013 – INTERNATIONAL FINE ART PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS – Grand Prix de la Découverte – Juror Award of Merit - Architecture Category for the image “LIKE A HARP'S STRINGS VI - ENCORE”
- SWPA 2013 - Sony - WORLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - Finalist Top 10 shortlist - Category ARCHITECTURE PROFESSIONALS - for the series “LIKE A HARP'S STRINGS”
- IPA 2012 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS – Winner of Honorable Mention for the series “LIKE A HARP'S STRINGS” – Category ARCHITECTURE BRIDGES
- IPA 2012 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS – Winner of Honorable Mention for the series "A PATH TO THE SKY" Category ARCHITECTURE BUILDINGS
- BEST OF 500px for 2012 – TOP 10 - Category: ABSTRACT - for “LIKE A HARP'S STRINGS III - RISING”
- ARTIST STATEMENT -
What I believe about art
"It is possible to create art without a mind, but it is impossible to do it without a soul. Your art will look exactly like your soul does, it will be a mirror of your truest ego, of your deepest desires, of your strongest feelings and hopes. Whoever knows how to look at it will be able see the whole you in your art. It's not easy to show one's soul so completely naked, that is why you have to truly need it in order to find the way and the courage to create it.
If you do not need it like air, it is not art."
- Julia Anna Gospodarou -
Why I create (en)Visionography™
I believe the photography you make is who you are.
This is how I approach the creation of my photographs and this is why my photographs can show who I am and what I believe in, and not only what my subject is. This is why I am told by those who see my work: "I knew this photograph was yours from the first moment I saw it".
I do this by not focusing on presenting the subject, but by adapting the subject to who I am. I start by envisioning the idea I want to express in a certain photograph or series and then, by using my camera and my software, I create an image that will represent me. I create a version of myself in each of my photographs by capturing an object and interpreting it through processing.
This is (en)Visionography.
(en)Visionography is a statement and the way I challenge traditional photography to become more about the artist than about the subject. I believe in a new type of photographer: the artist photographer who uses his feelings and his life experiences to create his work. A photographer who believes in the power of photography to re-create the world. A visionary photographer, a revolutionary photographer. An (en)Visionographer.
I am an (en)Visionographer.
Discovering that I can use photography to re-create the world and show myself through it gave a whole new meaning to my life. I was reborn. I want to share this with everyone so other artists can learn what to do so they can see themselves in their creations. This is why This is why I am an educator also and not only a photographer, and I do this through my writing, lecturing and my workshops.
Look. Feel. Express. Create.
As long as I know myself I was in a constant quest for the best way of expressing myself and my vision about the world in images. In order to do that I've used over time different tools as: drawing, architectural designing, photography.
Fine art photography represents for me a language of its own, black and white and long exposure being parts of this language that allow me to come in contact with my subconscious and with the things I don't know that I know. What I try do is to speak this language in order to make myself understood, to convey my ideas and feelings and to show to others the beauty I see and the perfection that exists in the world.
Beauty and perfection are always there, even in the places that one wouldn't expect them to exist, the only prerequisite in order to see them is to always have your eyes, heart and mind open. I try to find them, then try to capture them so I can keep them from flying away, I then interpret them so I can add my own self to the equation and finally show the result back to the world. It's a full circle, I take my inspiration from the world around me and I give my images back to it as a sign of gratitude for the beauty it showed me. All these steps going through the circle add something to the life of the image I create. For me the life of an image, this process that starts with the image being conceived in the mind of a photographer (his VISION) and culminates when it gives emotion to the viewer, this life always aims as its utmost goal at capturing the time and making it last forever.
Photography, as an art form, is the utmost expression of freedom, and it is the way I am searching for this freedom.
My photography credo
I specialize is architectural fine art photography, mainly black and white architecture, and this has very much to do with my passion for architecture, also with my background and experience , which is of practicing architecture at a high level for many years
I'm not interested in touching the viewer's mind, I'm not addressing to his logic, I'm aiming to his soul and to everything that transcends the logical understanding and cold plain analyze.
I aim to create art and, in my world, art doesn't address to the mind, but to the soul. This is what defines my work and sets it apart. I am calling the style of my architectural photography “emotional abstract”.
I call the process that leads to the creation of my photographs (en)Visionography™ . This is the name I give to what I do, the alternative name for photography that I find more suitable for my work, and the result of this process is a fusion of reality and imagination, where the image starts by being a white board where I design and build my photograph by using from reality only those elements that help me convey my vision and the idea I want to present in the final image. Processing is the tool I use to achieve my goal, to give shape to my vision, and the way I'm processing my work is very similar to what I would do if I was drawing the photograph by using a pencil, the same way I do it when I'm drawing on paper.
This is why I’m talking about “drawing my photographs” instead of processing them, which led me to creating Photography Drawing (PhD™), my personal black and white processing method, method based on how light interacts with volumes and how this can be translated in an image by using the principles of classical B&W drawing in pencil.
In essence, what I do in my photography is to take a raw image from the world and mold it into the shape of my mind and soul, so I can identify with it. My goal by doing photography is to first cover my need of expressing myself through art and then to send my thoughts out into the world in a form that can be understood.
INTERVIEWS & PUBLICATIONS
- Creative Live - Art Magazine Interview, Czechia - Portfolio Feature and interview by Martin Gallie
- Live interview for Paul Griffiths' show "Photography Live and Uncut" - 1 hour long interview covering different photography related subjects
- Shades of Grey Magazine Interview by Jean Michel Missri - 12-page spread interview and Portfolio Feature
- Extensive interview in CAMERAPIXO Magazine - featured as PRO Team Camerapixo member
- Out of Chicago Interview - 40-minute recorded interview for Out of Chicago show in view of my conference and workshop in Chicago
- F11 Magazine - Cover photo and 20-page spread interview and portfolio presentation - "Julia Anna Gospodarou - Creating Beauty".
- Photo Plus - The Canon Magazine - 12-page Article and feature: "Julia Anna Gospodarou - The Fine Art of Black and White" - Print and Digital magazine
- DxO Labs Image Master, in a gallery where Sebastião Salgado, Frank Doorhof and other renowned photographers have also been featured. http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/community/gallery/julia-anna-gospodarou
- Formatt-Hitech Filters Featured Artist - in a gallery with the best fine art long exposure photographers internationally
- (en)Visionography Album - A fine art album created with the help of Camerapixo, with the work of the group (en)Visionography - The New Fine Art Photography that I host and lead.
- Protagon.gr - Athens Workshop 2014 Article & Portfolio Presentation (Greece) http://www.protagon.gr/?i=protagon.el.fwtografia&id=3173
- CRAFT & VISION - The Photograph No.9 – Featured Portfolio & Extensive Interview
- Topaz Labs - Extensive Interview & Portfolio feature
- LifO Magazine Interview & Portfolio presentation (Greece) http://www.lifo.gr/team/omorfia/47230
- Metropolis Magazine Interview (Greece) http://issuu.com/metropolisnews/docs/metropolis_032014
- Lens Magazine: Advanced Methods For Nikon Photographers - Like a Harp's Strings Publication
- 1x.com Book Mono - http://1x.com/mono/
- Topaz Labs DeNoise - Featured Artist http://www.topazlabs.com/denoise
- Topaz Labs B&W Effects Featured Artist
- Fotografos Magazine - Artist & Portfolio Presentation (Greece) - Printed Magazin
- VISION Magazine - Issue dedicated to my work
- Press-Gr - Interview - Proust Questionaire (Greece) http://www.press-gr.com/2013/04/h-press-gr.html
- Dodho Magazine - Making of and the concept behind the series - Ode to Black | Black Hope and Catharsis publication - http://dodho.com/making-of-ode-to-black-i/ - http://dodho.com/making-of-catharsis/
- Protagon.gr - Artist Presentation (Greece) http://www.protagon.gr/?i=protagon.el.fwtografia&id=2730
- Interview & Portfolio Presentation - "Im Gespräch mit Julia Anna Gospodarou" - KWERFELDEIN Photography Magazine, Germany - by Robert Herrmann http://kwerfeldein.de/2013/07/12/im-gesprach-mit-julia-anna-gospodarou/ English Translation: http
- How We See It 3 - The Nature Of Our Worlds Book -
- Promotional Banner for TOPAZ LABS software - Black & White Effects 2 - featured image: "ODE TO BLACK (BLACK HOPE) V - PERSONA BLACK" © Julia Anna Gospodarou http://blog.juliaannagospodarou.com/athens-workshop-2013-topaz/
- Artist Presentation & Portfolio Presentation - "Architectural Photography of Julia Anna Gospodarou" - Dodho Magazine. by Máximo Pranes http://dodho.com/architectural-photography-of-julia-anna-gospodarou/
- Interview: "Architect and International Award Winning Photographer, Julia Anna Gospodarou, honors Press-Gr and answers to Proust Questionnaire" - PRESS-GR.blogspot.com, by Antonis-Marios Papagiotis http://press-gr.blogspot.gr/2013/04/h-press-gr.html
- Interview & Portfolio Presentation - "Interesting Photographers" Site, by Tess Masero Brioso http://www.interestingphotographers.com/main/en/2013/05/09/julia-anna-gospodarou-2/
- Cover Photo and Portfolio Feature - in iPressphoto Magazine http://www.ipressmagazine.com/
- Athens Architectural Photography Workshop 2012 – Feature Article in Artphotofeature Fine Art Magazine http://on.fb.me/ZtZFna
- Art Photo Feature Fine Art Magazine - Feature & Artist Statement http://on.fb.me/XNF4HZ
- Photography Feature as First Artist & Processing Techniques Insight in LENSA Magazine - Fine Art Magazine. Read more here: http://bit.ly/Xz3lTG
- Interview & Portfolio Presentation – Andrew Gibson Blog: http://goo.gl/Sgq7w
- Interview & Portfolio Presentation on Dezineer.com – Art, Architecture & Photography Site by Lefteris Sergios: http://bit.ly/VOr7NR
- How We See It ….More Views of Our Worlds – Book (Sequel of Part 1): http://bit.ly/Pp8xJO & http://bit.ly/Q99Cqj & http://on.fb.me/QQMflT
- Cover Photo and Feature in Plus One Magazine – Issue 1 – Architecture – 2012:http: //bit.ly/RwOMx6
- Portfolio & Interview Feature in Camerapixio Magazine: http://goo.gl/8xSzL & http://on.fb.me/S3qQnH
- My Profile On Camerapixio Site: http://bit.ly/QmZH0H
- Interview on Daniel Treadwell's Photography Site: http://bit.ly/UQ5eyy
- Portfolio Feature & Bio in Art Photo Feature – Fine Art Magazine: http://goo.gl/G7NV0
- Portfolio Feature & Bio in Foturion- Best in Greek Photography: http://goo.gl/uUaBV
- Portfolio Presentation & Interview in Photography Blogger by Christopher O'Donnell http://goo.gl/3iubE
- "Artist Spotlight" in Nathan Wirth's blog http://bit.ly/Wewcgo
- Portfolio Presentation & Interview in Matthias Haltenhof's blog http://goo.gl/UOpyC
- Feature in Stark-Magazine Issue No. 3 – Fine Art Magazine http://goo.gl/UcAu2
- How We See It – Our view of our worlds – book: http://goo.gl/0RPBM
- Plus One Collection 2011 – book http://plusonecollection.com/
BOOK - From Basics to Fine Art - Black and White Photography (co-author Joel Tjintjelaar)
(en)Visionography™ - The New Photography : www.envisionography.com
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/juliaannagospodarou.photography
Art Limited: http://www.artlimited.net/juliaannagospodarou