JULIA ANNA GOSPODAROU
Fine Art Photographer | (en)Visionographer
ARCHTECTURE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR
IPA 2016 - INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS
An accomplished architect, and internationally acclaimed photographer, author and educator, teaching workshops and lecturing around the world, Julia was passionate about art from a young age, and aims to create it with all the means she has at her disposition.
Julia is the founder of (en)Visionography™ , a term she coined to define a new way of creating fine art photography, based on the vision of the artist and his own life experiences, rather than on depicting the actual subject or the conventions of traditional photography. (en)Visionography introduces the concept of “total artistic freedom” in photography, which brings it closer to the idea of art. (en)Visionography is steadily gaining support around the world from artists eager to create authentic personal art.
This theory reflects in her personal creative and processing method Photography Drawing (PhtD™), method based on the interaction of light with shapes and objects and how this can be translated in an image by using the principles of classical drawing.
Multiple times awarded in the most important international photography competitions (IPA 2016 Photographer of the Year Architecture Professionals) and over 85 other awards and distinctions), Julia’s aim is to push the boundaries and to innovate with her work, to create a new aesthetic in photography, while remaining faithful to the classical principles of harmony and craftsmanship in art.
Julia believes writing/talking about your art is part of the art itself. This is why she published the best-selling book From Basics to Fine Art – Black and White Photography – Architecture and Beyond, with co-author Joel Tjintjelaar, book that quickly became a reference for the black and white fine art photography community. Her video Creating (en)Visionography – Long Exposure, Architecture and Beyond followed, and more publications are in preparation.
Below is a sample among many exceptional reviews of the book, made by George DeWolfe, who studied with Ansel Adams and Minor White:
"I consider Julia’s (en)Visionography and Photography Drawing the most important innovation in black and white photography since the invention of the Zone System. (...) Outside of Ansel Adams’ Basic Photo Series, From Basic to Fine Art: Black and White Photography – Architecture and Beyond is the best book on black and white photography written in the last 40 years."
Julia’s work is represented by Rotella Gallery, one of the most well-known fine art galleries in SoHo New York. Large limited edition prints of her work are available for the collectors at the gallery.
She is also a member of the prestigious DxO Image Masters Gallery and a DxO Ambassador, a featured artist for Formatt-Hitech, Topaz Labs, NIK Software by Google, SmugMug, Camerapixo, Stark Magazine etc.
Published internationally in numerous books and magazines, Julia's photography can be found in numerous private collections worldwide.
I believe the artist, given his/her acute ability to connect with the world in a passionate and intense way, and at the same time to interact with it at an abstract level, needs a mean of expression to decode this connection and to translate it to the others, while exploring its meaning. For me this mean of expression is photography.
There is no single meaning or universal truth in art, but each artist has his own interpretation that depends in a large measure on his personal emotions and beliefs.
I see fine art photography, just like art, as a manifestation of the artist’s emotion in front of the world, as well as a manifestation of his life experiences materialized into his artistic vision and eventually into his photography. This results in me seeing my photography as an “autobiographical photography”, intertwined with my life and fueled by the emotions my interaction with the world triggers.
“All photographs are self-portraits.” – Minor White
In my photography I am not interested in presenting the subject as it is, but in adapting it to who I am and to my artistic vision. I start by envisioning the idea I want to express and I create an image that will represent it. This is the foundation stone of what I call (en)Visionography.
I create a version of myself in each of my photographs. As Minor White says, “all photographs are self-portraits.”
Art uses symbols to communicate, so does photography. The subjects I depict are the symbols I use to communicate, they constitute the fine art language I create to decode my emotions and the world itself.
In doing so I aim to reach “total artistic freedom”. Freedom from conventions, freedom from interpreting the world in a literal way. This is where symbols come to play, and I use them to describe my vision. For instance, a building in my images may not represent a building but a person or a certain situation or idea, and the nuances of presenting that person/situation/idea come from the way I use light and shadow to create a certain feeling, a certain atmosphere that will make the viewer react emotionally and relate to the image. The viewer may not understand the symbols I use in a literal way, but may be moved by the image as a whole and, in this way, start interacting with my story, in an almost subconscious way.
To create this different symbolic world in my images, I find that black and white gives me the richest emotion and depth, the most powerful symbols and the most exhilarating artistic stimuli. As creative tools, I use various techniques in both capturing the image, like long exposure, motion blur etc., and in processing the image, like my black and white processing technique Photography Drawing,, which is a system of creating light and shadow in the same way painters and drawers do, to induce a certain feeling to the viewer and make him part of the world I create in my images. I allow myself total freedom in creating this world, so I can build an image that didn’t necessarily exist in the outside world, but that exists in my mind and in my soul.
What I believe about art
"It is possible to create art without a mind, but it is impossible to do it without a soul. Your art will look exactly like your soul does, it will be a mirror of your truest ego, of your deepest desires, of your strongest emotions and hopes. Whoever knows how to look at it will be able see the whole you in your art. It's not easy to show one's soul so completely naked, this is why you have to truly need it in order to find the way and the courage to create it.
If you do not need it like air, it is not art."
- Julia Anna Gospodarou -
IPA 2016 - PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR - ARCHITECTURE PROFESSIONALS
OVERALL CATEGORY WINNER - INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS
- IPA 2016- GOLD (1st Prize) – International Photography Awards - for series Urban Saga - Category Architecture Fine Art Professionals
- IPA 2016- SILVER (2nd Prize) – IInternational Photography Awards - for series Urban Saga - Category Architecture Advertising Professionals
- IPA 2016 - 1st Place Country Pick for Greece – International Photography Awards - for series Urban Saga
- IPA 2016 – International Photography Awards– 4 Honorable Mentions for Manhattan Blues - Category Architecture, Cityscapes, Editorial Professionals
- IPA 2016 – International Photography Awards– 4 Honorable Mentions for Rooftop Stories- Category Architecture, Cityscapes, Self Promotion Professionals
- IPA 2016 – International Photography Awards– 2 Honorable Mentions for Waves of Imagination - Categories Architecture & People Professionals
- PX3 2016 - GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - Architecture Fine Art Professionals for Urban Saga
- PX3 2016 - GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - Architecture Advertising Professionals for Manhattan Blues
- PX3 2016 – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - Honorable Mention Architecture Advertising Professionals for Rooftop Stories
- FAPA 2016 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) - London Fine Art Photo Awards Professionals - Category Architecture Cityscapes - for Rooftop Stories
- FAPA 2016 - 4 Nominee Winner - London Fine Art Photo Awards Professionals - Category Architecture & Fine Art - for Urban Saga, Waves of Imagination, Ancient Glow, Catharsis
- SIPA 2016 - Siena International Photo Awards- Finalist - Open Color, Architecture, Storyboard
- PX3 2015 - GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - People Choice Awards - Architecture Advertising Professionals for Urban Saga
- PX3 2015 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - People Choice Awards - Fine Art Architecture Professionals for Urban Saga
- PX3 2015 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - People Choice Awards - Architecture Advertising Professionals for the series Waving Light
- PX3 2015– Prix de la Photographie de Paris - People Choice Awards - 4 Honorable Mentions Professionals Category for series Urban Saga, Fluid Time, Waving Light and Equivalents
- FAPA 2015 - GOLD (1st Prize) and Category Winner - London Fine Art Photo Awards Professionals - Category Architecture Cityscapes - for Urban Saga I
- FAPA 2015 - SILVER (2nd Prize) - London Fine Art Photo Awards Professionals - Category Architecture - for the series Fluid Time
- PX3 2015 - SILVER (2nd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - Fine Art Architecture Professionals for Urban Saga
- PX3 2015– Prix de la Photographie de Paris- 5 Honorable Mentions Architecture Category Professionals for series Urban Saga, Fluid Time & Waving Light
- Black and White Spider Awards 2015 - 4 Nominations – Architecture Professionals Category for the images: Fluid Time V - Aligning Path; Equivalents II; Urban Saga I; Ode to Black | Black Hope II - Anima Black
- IPA 2015 – International Photography Awards - 5 Honorable Mentions Architecture Professionals for series Urban Saga, Fluid Time & Waving Light
- PX3 2015 – International Photography Awards - White Competition - Nature PROFESSIONALS - Honorable Mention for the series CATHARSIS
- PX3 2014 - GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris Category Architecture Advertising PROFESSIONALS – for the series Exuberance of Strings
- PX3 2014 - SILVER (2nd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - Category Fine Art Architecture PROFESSIONALS – for the series Exuberance of Strings
- PX3 2014 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris Category Fine Art Architecture Professionals – for the series FLUID TIME - An (en)Visionographic Chicago Story
- PX3 2014 – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - 2 Honorable Mentions for the series FLUID TIME - An (en)Visionographic Chicago Story & Exuberance of Strings
- IPA 2014 – International Photography Awards - 2 Honorable Mentions for the series “FLUID TIME - An (en)Visionographic Chicago Story” – Category Architecture Professionals– Cityscapes, Architecture Other
- IPA 2014 – International Photography Awards - 2 Honorable Mentions for the series “EXUBERANCE - Lines and Light” – Category Architecture Professionals– Architecture Bridges, Architecture Self Promotion
- Black and White Spider Awards 2014 - Nomination – Architecture Professionals Category for the image: "Fluid Time - Parallel Realities"
- ND AWARDS 2014 - Neutral Density Awards - Winner of 4 Honorable Mentions for series Ode to Black, Like a Harp's Strings, Catharsis - Categories Architecture, Fine Art, Landscape, Trees
- PX3 2013 - GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - People's Choice Awards - Category Fine Art Architecture Professionals – for the series Ode to Black
- PX3 2013 - SILVER (2nd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - People's Choice Awards - Category Architecture Advertising Professionals – for the series Ode to Black
- PX3 2013 – BRONZE (3rd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris - Category Architecture Advertising PROFESSIONALS for the series Ode to Black
- IPA 2013 - BRONZE (3rd Prize) – International Photography Awards for the series Like a Harp's Strings - Encore – Category Architecture Professionals– Bridges
- IPA 2013 – International Photography Awards - 3 Honorable Mentions for the series Ode to Black – Category Architecture Professionals– Buildings, Architecture Self Promotion, Architecture Other
- IPA 2013 – International Photography Awards - 3 Honorable Mentions for the series "CATHARSIS" – Category Fine Art Professionals– Landscape, Fine Art Self Promotion, Fine Art Trees
- Black and White Spider Awards 2013 - 3 Nominations – Architecture Category
- PX3 2013 – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – Category Fine Art Architecture Professionals – Honorable Mention for the series ode to Black
- IFAP 2013 – International Photography Awards – Grand Prix de la Découverte – Juror Award of Merit - Architecture Category for Like a Harp's Strings - Encore
- SWPA 2013 - Sony - World photography Awards - Finalist Top 10 shortlist - Category Architecture professionals - for the series Like a Harp's Strings
- IPA 2012 – International Photography Awards – Winner of Honorable Mention for the series Like a Harp's Strings– Category Architecture bridges
- IPA 2012 – International Photography Awards – Winner of Honorable Mention for the series A path to The Sky - Category Architecture buildings
- 500px 2012 – TOP 10 2012 - for Like a Harp's Strings III - Rising
- B&W Minimalism Magazine Interview - Interview by Milad Safabakhsh
- Article about my work and awards in Greek national newspaper Protothema "Μια χρυσή Ελληνίδα φωτογράφος"- Interview by Stefanos Kastrinakis
- iFocus Magazine Interview - Greece - Interview by Dora Lavazou
- Live Photography Interview on SKAI TV - Greek National TV
- Creative Live - Art Magazine Interview, Czechia - Portfolio Feature and interview by Martin Gallie
- Live interview for Paul Griffiths' show "Photography Live and Uncut" - 1 hour long interview covering different photography related subjects
- Shades of Grey Magazine Interview by Jean Michel Missri - 12-page spread interview and Portfolio Feature
- Extensive interview in CAMERAPIXO Magazine - featured as PRO Team Camerapixo member
- Out of Chicago Interview - 40-minute recorded interview for Out of Chicago show in view of my conference and workshop in Chicago
- F11 Magazine - Cover photo and 20-page spread interview and portfolio presentation - "Julia Anna Gospodarou - Creating Beauty".
- Photo Plus - The Canon Magazine - 12-page Article and feature: "Julia Anna Gospodarou - The Fine Art of Black and White" - Print and Digital magazine
- DxO Labs Image Master, in a gallery where Sebastião Salgado, Frank Doorhof and other renowned photographers have also been featured
- Formatt-Hitech Filters Featured Artist - in a gallery with the best fine art long exposure photographers internationally
- (en)Visionography Album - A fine art album created with the help of Camerapixo, with the work of the group (en)Visionography - The New Fine Art Photography that I host and lead
- Protagon.gr - Athens Workshop 2014 Article & Portfolio Presentation (Greece)
- CRAFT & VISION - The Photograph No.9 – Featured Portfolio & Extensive Interview
- Topaz Labs - Extensive Interview & Portfolio feature
- LifO Magazine Interview & Portfolio presentation (Greece)
- Metropolis Magazine Interview (Greece)
- Lens Magazine: Advanced Methods For Nikon Photographers - Like a Harp's Strings Publication
- 1x.com Book Mono
- Topaz Labs DeNoise - Featured Artist
- Topaz Labs B&W Effects Featured Artist
- Fotografos Magazine - Artist & Portfolio Presentation (Greece) - Printed Magazin
- VISION Magazine - Issue dedicated to my work
- Press-Gr - Interview - Proust Questionaire (Greece)
- Dodho Magazine - Making of and the concept behind the series - Ode to Black | Black Hope and Catharsis publication
- Protagon.gr - Artist Presentation (Greece)
- Interview & Portfolio Presentation - "Im Gespräch mit Julia Anna Gospodarou" - KWERFELDEIN Photography Magazine, Germany - by Robert Herrmann
- How We See It 3 - The Nature Of Our Worlds Book
- Promotional Banner for TOPAZ LABS software - Black & White Effects 2 - featured
- Artist Presentation & Portfolio Presentation - "Architectural Photography of Julia Anna Gospodarou" - Dodho Magazine. by Máximo Pranes
- Interview: "Architect and International Award Winning Photographer, Julia Anna Gospodarou, honors Press-Gr and answers to Proust Questionnaire" - PRESS-GR.blogspot.com, by Antonis-Marios Papagiotis
- Interview & Portfolio Presentation - "Interesting Photographers" Site, by Tess Masero Brioso
- Cover Photo and Portfolio Feature - in iPressphoto Magazine
- Athens Architectural Photography Workshop 2012 – Feature Article in Artphotofeature Fine Art Magazine
- Art Photo Feature Fine Art Magazine - Feature & Artist Statement
- Photography Feature as First Artist & Processing Techniques Insight in LENSA Magazine - Fine Art Magazine
- Interview & Portfolio Presentation – Andrew Gibson Blog
- Interview & Portfolio Presentation on Dezineer.com – Art, Architecture & Photography Site by Lefteris Sergios
- How We See It ….More Views of Our Worlds – Book (Sequel of Part 1)
- Cover Photo and Feature in Plus One Magazine – Issue 1 – Architecture – 2012:
- Portfolio & Interview Feature in Camerapixio Magazine
- My Photography Featured on Camerapixio Site
- Interview on Daniel Treadwell's Photography Website
- Portfolio Feature & Bio in Art Photo Feature – Fine Art Magazine:
- Portfolio Feature & Bio in Foturion- Best in Greek Photography:
- Portfolio Presentation & Interview in Photography Blogger by Christopher O'Donnell
- "Artist Spotlight" in Nathan Wirth's blog
- Portfolio Presentation & Interview in Matthias Haltenhof's blog
- Feature in Stark Magazine Issue No. 3 – Fine Art Magazine
- How We See It Book – Our view of our worlds
- Plus One Collection 2011
VIDEO Tutorial - Creating (en)Visionography - Long Exposure, Architecture and Beyond
(en)Visionography™ - The New Photography : www.envisionography.com
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/juliaannagospodarou.photography
Art Limited: http://www.artlimited.net/juliaannagospodarou