JULIA ANNA GOSPODAROU
Fine Art Photographer | (en)Visionographer
TWO-TIME WINNER PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR
IPA – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS 2016 & 2021
100+ VARIOUS INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS
Multiple award-winning internationally acclaimed photographer, accomplished architect with a Master’s degree, best-selling author, and highly sought-after educator, teaching workshops and lecturing around the world, Julia was passionate about art from a young age, striving to express herself artistically through various mediums: architecture, drawing, and photography.
Two-Time IPA International Photography Awards Professional Architecture Photographer of the Year in 2016 and 2021, a top 10 finalist of the World Photography Awards, also a top 10 finalist of Hasselblad Masters Awards, and winner of more than 100 prestigious international awards and distinctions, Julia is considered a leader of the contemporary Black and White Fine Art Photography.
Julia is the founder of (en)Visionography™, an artistic concept and fine art movement that aims to define a new way of creating fine art photography in the digital age. This new way of creating photography is based on the vision of the artist and their own life experiences and emotion, rather than solely on depicting the subject they photograph. (en)Visionography brings innovation to the world of photography, replacing the conventions of traditional photography with a new and more personal process of creation. (en)Visionography introduces the concept of “total artistic freedom” in photography, which brings it closer to the idea of art. A new and original concept, (en)Visionography has rapidly gained worldwide recognition. More and more artists eager to create authentic personal art start approaching photography in this way every day.
This theory reflects in Julia’s personal creative and processing method, which she calls Photography Drawing (PhtD™), an original method of approaching photography based on the interaction of light with shapes and objects, and how this can be translated into an image by using the principles of classical drawing.
The concept of (en)Visionography is best illustrated in the recognizable three-dimensional dark and atmospheric style of her black and white architectural images. Each of her images tells a story, and every object is a symbol and a character in that story. Through personification, the subjects acquire an almost human presence, like characters in a theater play. This style and approach introduced by Julia set an example widely adopted by photographers worldwide.
Widely respected photography theoretician, Julia is one of the first artists working extensively with digital photography, after having worked for years with analog photography, who became aware and publicly spoke in her books, articles, lectures, and workshops about the need to see digital photography as a new discipline, independent from traditional analog photography, due to the fundamental differences in the way they are experienced and created.
This new discipline, which she called (en)Visionography™, is the response of photography to art in a time when photography benefits from tremendously evolved technical resources, never before experienced, both as for the gear used to capture the image as well as for the software used to take it from the state of raw material to an expression of the vision of the artist. Many photographers are not yet aware of the real potential these new means have and how they can be used creatively in a new way that goes much beyond what was possible in traditional photography.
Julia’s mission is to make this huge potential known and available to everybody through the concept of (en)Visionography, so each photographer can become an artist by using these tools at their full power. She accomplishes this with her original method of teaching that has helped hundreds of students over the years go from having a passion for photography to becoming the successful artists they dreamed of being.
Author of the best-selling book From Basics to Fine Art – Black and White Photography – Architecture and Beyond, a book that quickly became a reference for the black and white fine art photography community, and of various tutorials, eBooks and courses that have set the basis of fine art photography of hundreds of students, Julia’s aim is to push the boundaries and to innovate with her work, to create a new aesthetic in photography, while remaining faithful to the classical principles of harmony and craftsmanship in art.
Julia is a member of the prestigious DxO Image Masters Gallery, a VIP Global Formatt-Hitech Ambassador, featured artist endorsed by Topaz Labs, NIK Software, SmugMug, Skylum etc.
Published internationally in numerous books and magazines, Julia’s limited edition prints can be found in numerous prestigious private collections and public spaces worldwide.
Highly-regarded authorities in the field, like George DeWolfe, who has studied with Ansel Adams and Minor White, have said about her original concepts and the content of her book:
“I consider Julia’s (en)Visionography and Photography Drawing the most important innovation in black and white photography since the invention of the Zone System. (…)
Outside of Ansel Adams’ Basic Photo Series, From Basic to Fine Art: Black and White Photography – Architecture and Beyond is the best book on black and white photography written in the last 40 years.”
– George DeWolfe –
I believe the artist, given his/her acute ability to connect with the world in a passionate and intense way, and at the same time to interact with it at an abstract level, needs a means of expression to decode this connection and to translate it to others, while exploring its meaning.
For me this means of expression is photography.
There is no single meaning or universal truth in art, but each artist has his own interpretation that depends in a large measure on his personal emotions and beliefs.
I see fine art photography, just like art, as a manifestation of the artist’s emotion in front of the world, as well as a manifestation of their life experiences, materialized into their artistic vision and eventually into their photography.
This process has as a result that I see my photography as an “autobiographical photography”, intertwined with my life and fueled by the emotions my interaction with the world triggers.
“All photographs are self-portraits.”
– Minor White –
In my photography, I am not interested in presenting the subject as it is, but in adapting it to who I am and to my artistic vision.
I start by envisioning the idea I want to express and I create an image that will represent it. This is the foundation stone of what I call (en)Visionography.
I create a version of myself in each of my photographs. As Minor White says, “all photographs are self-portraits.”
Art uses symbols to communicate, so does photography. The subjects I depict are the symbols I use to communicate, they constitute the fine art language I create to decode my emotions and the world itself.
In doing so I aim to reach “total artistic freedom”. Freedom from conventions, freedom from interpreting the world in a literal way. This is where symbols come to play, and I use them to describe my vision.
For instance, a building in my images may not represent a building but a person or a certain situation or idea, and the nuances of presenting that person/situation/idea come from the way I use light and shadow to create a certain feeling, a certain atmosphere that will make the viewer react emotionally and relate to the image. The viewer may not understand the symbols I use in a literal way but may be moved by the image as a whole and, in this way, they will start interacting with my story, in an almost subconscious way.
To create this different symbolic world in my images, I find that black and white photography gives me the richest emotion and depth, the most powerful symbols and the most exhilarating artistic stimuli.
As creative tools, I use various techniques in both capturing the image, like long exposure, motion blur etc., and in processing the image, like my personal black and white processing technique Photography Drawing, which is a system of creating light and shadow in the same way painters and draftsmen do, to induce a certain feeling to the viewer and make them part of the world I create in my images.
I allow myself total freedom in creating this world, so I can build an image that doesn’t necessarily exist in the outside world, but that exists in my mind and in my soul.
WHAT I BELIEVE ABOUT ART
“It is possible to create art without a mind, but it is impossible to do it without a soul. Your art will look exactly like your soul does, it will be a mirror of your truest ego, of your deepest desires, of your strongest emotions and hopes. Whoever knows how to look at it will be able to see the whole you in your art. It’s not easy to show one’s soul so completely naked, this is why you have to truly need it in order to find the way and the courage to create it.
If you don’t need it like air, it is not art.”
– Julia Anna Gospodarou –
MULTIPLE TIMES AWARDED INTERNATIONALLY FINE ART PHOTOGRAPHER
100+ VARIOUS INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS
TWO-TIME WINNER PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR 2016 & 2021
IPA INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS ARCHITECTURE
SWPA WORLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER TOP 10 FINALIST
HASSELBLAD MASTERS TOP 10 FINALIST
– IPA 2021 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR –
– IPA 2021 – OVERALL CATEGORY WINNER – ARCHITECTURE for the series “FLYING AWAY”
– IPA 2021 – 1st Prize – GOLD – for the series “FLYING AWAY” – Category Architecture Buildings Professionals
– IPA 2021 – HONORABLE MENTION – for the series “ENLIGHTENMENT” – Category Architecture Historic Professionals
– IPA 2021 – HONORABLE MENTION for the series “MIDNIGHT LIGHT” – Category Night Photography Professionals
– IPA 2021 – HONORABLE MENTION for the series “METROPOLIS” – Category Panorama Professionals
– IPA 2021 – HONORABLE MENTION for the series “A TALE OF THE PAST” – Category Cityscape Professionals
– WPC 2022 – WORLD PHOTOGRAPHIC CUP – BEST OF NATION – GREECE – LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY
– WPC 2021 – WORLD PHOTOGRAPHIC CUP – BEST OF NATION – GREECE – ARCHITECTURE PHOTOGRAPHY
– WPC 2021 – WINNER COMMERCIAL CATEGORY- 4th PLACE – for Flying Awa IV
– HASSELBLAD MASTERS FINALIST 2018 – Architecture – for Urban Saga I, Enlightenment I and Like a Harp’s Strings III
– IPA 2016- GOLD (1st Prize) – International Photography Awards – for series Urban Saga – Category Architecture Fine Art Professionals
– IPA 2016- SILVER (2nd Prize) – International Photography Awards – for series Urban Saga – Category Architecture Advertising Professionals
– IPA 2016 – 1st Place Country Pick for Greece – International Photography Awards – for series Urban Saga
– IPA 2016 – International Photography Awards– 4 Honorable Mentions for Manhattan Blues – Category Architecture, Cityscapes, Editorial Professionals
– IPA 2016 – International Photography Awards– 4 Honorable Mentions for Rooftop Stories- Category Architecture, Cityscapes, Self Promotion Professionals
– IPA 2016 – International Photography Awards– 2 Honorable Mentions for Waves of Imagination – Categories Architecture & People Professionals
– PX3 2016 – GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – Architecture Fine Art Professionals for Urban Saga
– PX3 2016 – GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – Architecture Advertising Professionals for Manhattan Blues
– PX3 2016 – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – Honorable Mention Architecture Advertising Professionals for Rooftop Stories
– FAPA 2016 – BRONZE (3rd Prize) – London Fine Art Photo Awards Professionals – Category Architecture Cityscapes – for Rooftop Stories
– FAPA 2016 – 4 Nominee Winner – London Fine Art Photo Awards Professionals – Category Architecture & Fine Art – for Urban Saga, Waves of Imagination, Ancient Glow, Catharsis
– SIPA 2016 – Siena International Photo Awards- Finalist – Open Color, Architecture, Storyboard
– PX3 2015 – GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – People Choice Awards – Architecture Advertising Professionals for Urban Saga
– PX3 2015 – BRONZE (3rd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – People Choice Awards – Fine Art Architecture Professionals for Urban Saga
– PX3 2015 – BRONZE (3rd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – People Choice Awards – Architecture Advertising Professionals for the series Waving Light
– PX3 2015– Prix de la Photographie de Paris – People Choice Awards – 4 Honorable Mentions Professionals Category for series Urban Saga, Fluid Time, Waving Light and Equivalents
– FAPA 2015 – GOLD (1st Prize) and Category Winner – London Fine Art Photo Awards Professionals – Category Architecture Cityscapes – for Urban Saga I
– FAPA 2015 – SILVER (2nd Prize) – London Fine Art Photo Awards Professionals – Category Architecture – for the series Fluid Time
– PX3 2015 – SILVER (2nd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – Fine Art Architecture Professionals for Urban Saga
– PX3 2015– Prix de la Photographie de Paris- 5 Honorable Mentions Architecture Category Professionals for series Urban Saga, Fluid Time & Waving Light
– Black and White Spider Awards 2015 – 4 Nominations – Architecture Professionals Category for the images: Fluid Time V – Aligning Path; Equivalents II; Urban Saga I; Ode to Black | Black Hope II – Anima Black
– IPA 2015 – International Photography Awards – 5 Honorable Mentions Architecture Professionals for series Urban Saga, Fluid Time & Waving Light
– PX3 2015 – International Photography Awards – White Competition – Nature PROFESSIONALS – Honorable Mention for the series CATHARSIS
– PX3 2014 – GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris Category Architecture Advertising PROFESSIONALS – for the series Exuberance of Strings
– PX3 2014 – SILVER (2nd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – Category Fine Art Architecture PROFESSIONALS – for the series Exuberance of Strings
– PX3 2014 – BRONZE (3rd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris Category Fine Art Architecture Professionals – for the series FLUID TIME – An (en)Visionographic Chicago Story
– PX3 2014 – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – 2 Honorable Mentions for the series FLUID TIME – An (en)Visionographic Chicago Story & Exuberance of Strings
– IPA 2014 – International Photography Awards – 2 Honorable Mentions for the series “FLUID TIME – An (en)Visionographic Chicago Story” – Category Architecture Professionals– Cityscapes, Architecture Other
– IPA 2014 – International Photography Awards – 2 Honorable Mentions for the series “EXUBERANCE – Lines and Light” – Category Architecture Professionals– Architecture Bridges, Architecture Self Promotion
– Black and White Spider Awards 2014 – Nomination – Architecture Professionals Category for the image: “Fluid Time – Parallel Realities”
– ND AWARDS 2014 – Neutral Density Awards – Winner of 4 Honorable Mentions for series Ode to Black, Like a Harp’s Strings, Catharsis – Categories Architecture, Fine Art, Landscape, Trees
– PX3 2013 – GOLD (1st Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – People’s Choice Awards – Category Fine Art Architecture Professionals – for the series Ode to Black
– PX3 2013 – SILVER (2nd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – People’s Choice Awards – Category Architecture Advertising Professionals – for the series Ode to Black
– PX3 2013 – BRONZE (3rd Prize) – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – Category Architecture Advertising PROFESSIONALS for the series Ode to Black
– IPA 2013 – BRONZE (3rd Prize) – International Photography Awards for the series Like a Harp’s Strings – Encore – Category Architecture Professionals– Bridges
– IPA 2013 – International Photography Awards – 3 Honorable Mentions for the series Ode to Black – Category Architecture Professionals– Buildings, Architecture Self Promotion, Architecture Other
– IPA 2013 – International Photography Awards – 3 Honorable Mentions for the series “CATHARSIS” – Category Fine Art Professionals– Landscape, Fine Art Self Promotion, Fine Art Trees
– Black and White Spider Awards 2013 – 3 Nominations – Architecture Category
– PX3 2013 – Prix de la Photographie de Paris – Category Fine Art Architecture Professionals – Honorable Mention for the series ode to Black
– IFAP 2013 – International Photography Awards – Grand Prix de la Découverte – Juror Award of Merit – Architecture Category for Like a Harp’s Strings – Encore
– SWPA 2013 – Sony – World photography Awards – Finalist Top 10 shortlist – Category Architecture professionals – for the series Like a Harp’s Strings
– IPA 2012 – International Photography Awards – Winner of Honorable Mention for the series Like a Harp’s Strings– Category Architecture bridges
– IPA 2012 – International Photography Awards – Winner of Honorable Mention for the series A path to The Sky – Category Architecture buildings
– 500px 2012 – TOP 10 2012 – for Like a Harp’s Strings III – Rising
INTERVIEWS | PUBLICATIONS
– Interview for WPO – World Photography Organization
– Interview for Alister Benn’s Vision & Light
– Interview for LEMAG – Long Exposure Magazine – Interview by Derek Michalski
– Interview for WPO – World Photography Organization – Interview by Matthew Oxley
– Article for the main Greek photography magazine – The Photographer (Fotografos)
– Interview for Skylum/Macphun – Interview by Juliana Chyzhova
– Interview for George Digalakis
– Interview for Leanne Cole
– BWVISION – Interview by Joel Tjitjelaar
– B&W Minimalism Magazine Interview – Interview by Milad Safabakhsh
– Progresso Fotografico Magazine Interview by Eugenio G. Tursi – Italy – The oldest and most well-known printed photography magazine in Italy.
– Formatt- Hitech Leading Image – “Mirroring Fantasies” on the cover of the new Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Holder box and advertising campaign.
– Digital Photographer UK Issue 182 – “Shoot stunning urban abstracts” – Black and White Architecture Tutorial
– Article about my work and awards in Greek national newspaper Protothema “Μια χρυσή Ελληνίδα φωτογράφος”- Interview by Stefanos Kastrinakis
– iFocus Magazine Interview – Greece – Interview by Dora Lavazou
– Live Photography Interview on SKAI TV – Greek National TV
– Creative Live – Art Magazine Interview, Czechia – Portfolio Feature and interview by Martin Gallie
– Live interview for Paul Griffiths’ show “Photography Live and Uncut” – 1-hour long interview covering different photography related subjects
– Shades of Grey Magazine Interview by Jean Michel Missri – 12-page spread interview and Portfolio Feature
– Extensive interview in CAMERAPIXO Magazine – featured as PRO Team Camerapixo member
– Out of Chicago Interview – 40-minute recorded interview for Out of Chicago show in view of my conference and workshop in Chicago
– F11 Magazine – Cover photo and 20-page spread interview and portfolio presentation – “Julia Anna Gospodarou – Creating Beauty”.
– Photo Plus – The Canon Magazine – 12-page Article and feature: “Julia Anna Gospodarou – The Fine Art of Black and White” – Print and Digital magazine
– DxO Labs Image Master, in a gallery where Sebastião Salgado, Frank Doorhof and other renowned photographers have also been featured
– Formatt-Hitech Filters Featured Artist – in a gallery with the best fine art long exposure photographers internationally
– (en)Visionography – Printed Photography Album – A printed fine art photography album created with the help of Camerapixo, Magazine, with the work of the group (en)Visionography – The New Fine Art Photography, that I have founded and I lead.
– Protagon.gr – Athens Workshop Article & Portfolio Presentation (Greece)
– CRAFT & VISION – The Photograph No.9 – Featured Portfolio & Extensive Interview
– Topaz Labs – Extensive Interview & Portfolio feature
– LifO Magazine Interview & Portfolio Presentation (Greece)
– Metropolis Magazine Interview (Greece)
– Lens Magazine: Advanced Methods For Nikon Photographers – Like a Harp’s Strings Publication
– 1x.com Book Mono
– Topaz Labs DeNoise – Featured Artist
– Topaz Labs B&W Effects Featured Artist
– Fotografos Magazine – Artist & Portfolio Presentation (Greece) – Printed Magazin
– VISION Magazine – Issue dedicated to my work
– Press-Gr – Interview – Proust Questionaire
– Dodho Magazine – Making of and the concept behind the series – Ode to Black | Black Hope and Catharsis publication
– Protagon.gr – Artist Presentation (Greece)
– Interview & Portfolio Presentation – “Im Gespräch mit Julia Anna Gospodarou” – KWERFELDEIN Photography Magazine, Germany – by Robert Herrmann
– How We See It 3 – The Nature Of Our Worlds Book
– Promotional Banner for TOPAZ LABS software – Black & White Effects 2 – featured
– Artist Presentation & Portfolio Presentation – “Architectural Photography of Julia Anna Gospodarou” – Dodho Magazine. by Máximo Pranes
– Interview: “Architect and International Award Winning Photographer, Julia Anna Gospodarou, honors Press-Gr and answers to Proust Questionnaire” – PRESS-GR.blogspot.com, by Antonis-Marios Papagiotis
– Interview & Portfolio Presentation – “Interesting Photographers” by Tess Masero Brioso
– Cover Photo and Portfolio Feature – in iPressphoto Magazine
– Athens Architectural Photography Workshop – Feature Article in Artphotofeature Fine Art Magazine
– Art Photo Feature Fine Art Magazine – Feature & Artist Statement
– Photography Feature as First Artist & Processing Techniques Insight in LENSA Magazine – Fine Art Magazine
– Interview & Portfolio Presentation – Andrew Gibson Blog
– Interview & Portfolio Presentation on Dezineer.com – Art, Architecture & Photography Site by Lefteris Sergios
– How We See It ….More Views of Our Worlds – Book (Sequel of Part 1)
– Cover Photo and Feature in Plus One Magazine – Issue 1 – Architecture 2012
– Portfolio & Interview Feature in Camerapixio Magazine
– My Photography Featured on Camerapixio Site
– Interview on Daniel Treadwell’s Photography Website
– Portfolio Feature & Bio in Art Photo Feature – Fine Art Magazine:
– Portfolio Feature & Bio in Foturion- Best in Greek Photography:
– Portfolio Presentation & Interview in Photography Blogger by Christopher O’Donnell
– “Artist Spotlight” in Nathan Wirth’s blog
– Portfolio Presentation & Interview by Matthias Haltenhof’s
– Feature in Stark Magazine Issue No. 3 – Fine Art Magazine
– How We See It Book – Our view of our worlds
– Plus One Collection 2011
BOOKS, COURSES, EDUCATION
VIDEO TUTORIAL – Creating (en)Visionography – Long Exposure, Architecture and Beyond
Please consider making a small donation
We believe in knowledge, we believe in education, and in the freedom of spirit that creates great art. We believe in art and in artists.
If you enjoy our content, please consider making a small donation, to help us continue sharing free content and offer knowledge and inspiration.
For more than a decade we are sharing free content on fine art photography, black and white photography, architecture photography, long exposure photography, as well as our original concepts of “(en)Visionography” and “Photography Drawing”. You can find on our website many free extensive tutorials on all these subjects.
Thousands of photographers started their journey in fine art photography here and found inspiration and practical resources that empowered them. Many have won awards for their work based on knowledge acquired here and from our books, courses, and workshops. Many are making careers in photography right now.
The feedback from people has always been amazing and we are extremely proud of our work.
To empower even more photographers to reach their dreams, we want to keep this resource free forever so every new or advanced photographer can have access to knowledge and inspiration.
To help us in our efforts of providing knowledge and inspiration for everyone, please consider becoming a patron of this website and making a small donation.
By making a donation, you will be part of this generous effort and you can be proud of being a supporter of art and artists, like the famous Maecenas of the past. Art and artists need your support as always in the history of art and photography.
Thank you for your generosity!
Julia Anna Gospodarou – Founder
Julia Anna Gospodarou is an internationally acclaimed award-winning photographer, an architect with a Master’s degree, a best-selling author, and a highly sought-after educator, teaching workshops and lecturing around the world. Founder of (en)Visionography™ and creator of Photography Drawing™, author of the best-selling book From Basics to Fine Art – Black and White Photography, multiple times awarded in the most important photography competitions worldwide (Two-Time International Photography Awards IPA Photographer of the Year 2016 & 2021, World Photography Awards SWPA Top 10 Finalist, and Hasselblad Masters Top 10 Finalist, as well as 100+ more awards), widely published internationally in books and magazines, Julia is passionate about art and photography and striving to spread the ideas of fine art photography and (en)Visionography all over the world.